Shredded and ready to go! Yum!
Served in homemade tortillas with pickled onions and salsa verde! Heaven!
In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I present to you the recipe that I have always used for shredded pork shoulder. It is so simple, taking about 5 minutes to prep, while the slow cooker does the rest. I love making tortillas and serving it with pickled onions, salsa, and salsa verde! It is great for a crowd! I hope you enjoy!
Serves: 4 people, generously
3 to 4 lb boneless pork shoulder
3 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons cumin
1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Liberally salt and pepper pork shoulder.
2. Mix oregano and cumin with the olive oil, and rub all over pork.
3. Place in a slow cooker and add enough water to cover the bottom of the slow cooker. If I have any orange juice, I will pour some over the pork.
Note: You can throw some onions and garlic on top of the pork for added flavor, but generally I do not. It is totally up to you!
4. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for about 4 hours.
5. Transfer pork to a serving bowl and pull apart. Pour pan juices over the pork and serve.
Note: I have seen recipes that call for frying the carnitas in a little bit of oil to make the pieces crisp. Again, this is totally up to you!