Nuts are a great snack and I always try to have them on hand. If I am hungry an hour or two before lunch or dinner and craving a cookie, I grab a handful and they are quite satisfying. I also like to put them out with a cheese board as an added accompaniment with olives and my pickled jalapeno peppers. Inspired by turmeric, I found a recipe and played around with it and this is the result. They also make a great gift!
Note: You can read about the healing benefits of turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, and other herbs and spices on this site in the category “Karen’s Ingredients”. Enjoy!
Yields: about 2 to 3 cups
2 to 3 cups of your favorite raw nuts (I used cashews, almonds, pecans, and pistachios, just because that is what I had on hand)
2 to 3 teaspoons of oil (I used olive oil, but I would also use coconut or a vegetable oil)
2 to 3 Tablespoons of an organic honey
1 teaspoon of the following spices – Cinnamon, Cayenne, Cumin, Curry, and Turmeric
Pinch or two of sea salt
1. In a large bowl, toss nuts with the spices and salt.
2. Add oil and honey, stirring to combine well.
3. Spread nuts evenly on a sheet pan.
4. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven and roast for about 15 to 20 minutes, checking every 5 minutes, until they are a deep brown.
5. After removing from oven, let cool for a moment, and transfer to a bowl, tossing to separate nuts.
6. Keep in a jar where handy for a quick, healthful, and filling snack.