A bechamel sauce is a basic white sauce. It is a starting point for making other sauces. Made from a roux (butter and flour) and milk, it is a sauce that I use quite frequently. It is my base for making lasagna, macaroni and cheese, casseroles, and gratins. It is such a great sauce to know how to make and use.
This recipe makes about 3/4 cup. I usually double the recipe, just in case.
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- Melt butter in a sauce pan.
- Add flour, whisking until smooth.
- Cook on low for about a minute, whisking constantly.
- Add milk, whisking until smooth.
- Increase heat, let simmer until sauce is thickened (usually about 5 minutes).
- Whisk in salt, pepper, and nutmeg.