One of my most enjoyable pastimes has always been watching cooking shows. I have learned so much over the years. This scrumptious madeleine recipe is from the “Barefoot Contessa” and certainly one of my favorites. It is so simple and easy to follow. The ingredients are always obtainable and making substitutions are no problem. This recipe is one that I have used for many years. She adds coconut, but I love them just plain. Enjoy, they are such a great treat! I know that I always feel pampered when I make them.
Makes: 12 large madeleines Prep/Cook Time: 40 minutes tops
Note: The original recipe says that it makes 24, but I like mine larger. 12 or 24, it’s up to you!
3 extra large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 stick (1/4 lb) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (I use pink himalayan)
Extra melted butter to grease the pan
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour madeleine pan.
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until light yellow and fluffy.
2. Add butter and mix well.
3. Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
4. Stir into batter with a rubber spatula.
5. With a soup spoon, drop the batter into the pans, filling each shell almost full.
6. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until they spring back when you touch them. You will know when they are done.
7. Tap out madeleines and allow to cool.
Note: People say that they are best when eaten right out of the oven, delicious yes, but I love to eat them when they are a little dry. They are great for dipping in your tea or coffee